OR/ICU SATELLITE PHARMACY
Located inside our medical intensive care unit (MICU), Pikeville Medical Center’s Operating Room/Intensive Care Unit Satellite Pharmacy is manned by a staff of outstanding clinicians. In addition to excelling in areas of clinical pharmacy practice that are inextricably linked to the intensive care unit (see bulleted list), these pharmacists serve as indispensable sources of drug information.
Critical care pharmacists at our facility practice in the following capacities:
- appropriate antibiotic selection for septic patients
- acceptable drip rates/duration of therapy for medications specific to our intensive care patient population
- appropriate choices of routes, methods, and forms of nutrition delivery
- recommendation of addition and deletion of items on a patient’s medication list to aid physicians in the fine-tuned management of this often-difficult patient population
- participating in the education and orientation of each new critical care nurse by conducting day-long seminars
- detailing the importance of appropriate medication usage in the intensive care unit
When seconds count, our pharmacists deliver answers to questions regarding the appropriate management of critical patients with accuracy and speed. Our pharmacists are an integral part of the intensive care unit team.
Hours of operation: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday (closed on holidays; in the event that the OR/ICU satellite staff is absent, Pikeville Medical Center inpatient pharmacy aids in the preparation of appropriate drug regimens for our intensive care patients)